Perfect pairs

Peanut butter and jelly. Pencil and paper. Movies and popcorn. There are so many things that just go together and it’s sometimes hard to imagine one without the other.

For a while now I’ve loved hummus. It’s just such a lovely, tasty and delicious treat: I can eat tub after tub of the stuff. Who could have imagined that chickpeas – so mundane – could produce such a yummy spread? On the other hand there is pesto – another one of those foods that I totally identify with: full of flavour, surprising and very versatile. I don’t just add it to pasta but I sometimes just spread it on toast because it’s yummy.

Imagine my delight when a few days ago I tried a dip that was hummus with pesto… OMG. I couldn’t stop eating it, it was just AMAZING. I’d never thought of putting these two together and in fact if I thought about it they probably wouldn’t work together but they do. Oh boy do they ever! The gritty nuttiness of the hummus just loves the melty creaminess of pesto… it was unforgettable. These two foods just have an amazing chemistry that makes the combination of them much more than the sum of their parts.

Sometimes life is just like that: things are considered apart as a matter of course and when convention is broken and they are placed together – it’s magic. This should be done in moderation of course, too much of a good thing and it becomes mundane. But every once in a while it’s very pleasurable and almost sinful…

Comments

Gin said…
Oooh Pesto and Hummus. You should try the ones made byt the chap at 'Much ado' in Olney. Yummy, Yummy, yummy !!!!
Lauren said…
Interesting combo - gonna have to try this. TFS!
Lynsey said…
It was heaven!!

Popular posts from this blog

Copacabana: mystery solved

Milton Keynes street names

Running around Bancroft - photo blog