Later that day I got to thinking…

Is it just me or does everyone think about Carrie in Sex and the City when they hear (or write) those words? Gosh, how long has it been that this finished? I sure do miss it!

Fortunately it’s been running almost constantly on cable and I’ve been able to catch some of the earlier episodes that I missed in the original run and of course I’ve been also able to watch the whole series all the way to the end… and in true Carrie style, it made me think about why do I miss this show quite this much?

For lots of people it was about the clothes or the “adult situations” but I think that for me it was always about friends. We all have (or should have) friends that have been with us through it all, through the good days and good times, friends that told us when we were wearing the wrong thing or dating the wrong man, friends that you could count on to minutely dissect every little aspect of your love life and give an opinion. I certainly have friends like that, and they know me SO well! They also happen to live an ocean away and I sure do miss them.

So watching SATC is a little like remembering the good times with my friends, when we could just meet for lunch and chat about nothing and everything and have a great time. I do have friends here of course, but somehow it isn’t the same – these people here know me as an adult and the shared experiences we have are much more sedate… whether that is because people in the UK are generally less emotional than people in Mexico will be the subject of a future blog post! The net result is that most of my friends in the UK have never seen me drunk, have never seen me smoke and have certainly never seen me going out with the wrong guy. I’m actually probably quite boring for them.

On the other hand, my friends back home have some great stories on me and if any of them wanted to totally embarrass me they could easily do so (it’s not an invitation by the way, ok ladies?) They have seen me at my worst and my best and it’s strengthened our bonds. It also means that if I ever become famous they could probably all become quite rich by selling their “kiss and tell” stories! But I love them all dearly and wouldn’t change anything.

I’m actually quite looking forward to the SATC movie coming out this summer. Not only will it be a chance to catch up with some of my favourite TV characters but it’s also a chance to, once again, remember what it was like when I lived near my best friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copacabana: mystery solved

Milton Keynes street names

Running around Bancroft - photo blog