C'mon scrappers - let's be honest

We’ve all made them, right? We all wish to lose the weight, eat better, sort our finances, scrap all our backlog, give more generously, that sort of thing. Another resolution is the wish to be a better person – to eliminate all those nasty habits that don’t help us become the best we can be.

I was thinking about this when I was reading one of the popular scrapping forums out there and it struck me how many women were proud of deceiving their husbands. Ladies up and down the land were shopping to their heart’s content and then lying about how much they spent, lying about the amount of stash they’d purchased or even hiding purchases from their husbands so that he doesn’t know.

I’m sure that it isn’t just scrappers that do this but lots of women shop til they drop and then lie about it to their husband/partner/significant other. In some cases I know that they hold separate accounts so perhaps it really doesn’t matter as each has their own money... but I do know of cases where the woman doesn’t work and happily will spend and spend the family’s money. Even worse, some women are proud of being able to do this and let their husbands live not knowing the true state of the finances, which can be not so healthy.

I just don’t get it, obviously. There are so many aspects of this that bother me, first of all the fact that I just couldn’t lie to my husband about anything. He and I are partners in this marriage and if things are to work, we must be totally sincere with each other about everything, even how much my new dress cost. If I can’t tell him this then something else is wrong.

Also, if one must lie about the expense then it probably means that the purchase is an extravagance – and could be placing the partnership on the brink of financial peril. Priorities have to be kept somewhere! I couldn’t look my family in the eye if I know that I’ve had to buy cheaper food just so that I could afford some new, unnecessary bit of stash (as I’ve heard others do).

It isn’t difficult to find someone discussing this very topic on all the scrapping boards, often women telling each other with great glee how they can deceive their husbands/boyfriends about how much they’ve just spent. It seems sad that this deception is taken as something to be proud of and a mark of just how clever you are. I have never been comfortable with this aspect of scrapbooking discussions and hope that it doesn’t become an even more common part of this otherwise enjoyable medium.

So ladies, join me in the resolution to spend only as much as you can afford and to never lie to your partner about just how much you’ve spent. It is a small step but can help to make us all better people.

What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copacabana: mystery solved

Milton Keynes street names

Running around Bancroft - photo blog